The most common type is the compression gas struts. These are used to provide a pushing force outward to help an object in its movement. The object can be a door or a hatch and even a piston in a car engine. The gas strut itself has a piston in a rod inside it that moves up and down inside a chamber full of gas or oil. When this rod moves into the gas strut body, it will reduce the volume of the gas or oil occupied. It thereby increases the pressure inside the sealed tube to exert an outward force on the road. There are many different types of gas struts automotive available on the market. All these different types of gas struts will have different applications.
Different Type of Gas Struts Automotive:
There are different categories of compression gas struts automotive. All these gas struts have specific functions and are used for different purposes and areas. The diverse categories of compression gas struts automotive are as beneath:
- Standard compression gas struts
- Side valve compression gas struts
- Locking compression gas struts
- Friction lock compression gas struts
- Lock open compression gas struts and
- Protected compression gas strut.
Different Categories of Gas Struts Automotive on the Basis of Usage Purpose
The output of the gas struts automotive depends on the type and specification of it as well as on the difference between the atmospheric pressure acting on the outside of the rod and the pressure inside the cylinder itself. In addition to the above, there are a few other types of gas struts such as:
1. Safety Locking Shroud Gas Struts:
The additional shroud mechanism surrounding the rod locks it when it is extended fully. It is used for different purposes such as lift assists, LCD display, and medical equipment and of course automotive applications.
2. Gas Spring Dampers:
These are specific struts that help in regulating the motion and speed of the object. Hydraulic oil is used for this purpose and it has varied applications such as cover, lids, and doors of different appliances that open in a specific direction. These struts usually have a load capacity ranging between 10 to 150 pounds and come with different speed characteristics. This helps the gas struts to meet different application needs that include: Superstructures, Motor vehicles and Agricultural vehicles.
The Working Process
There are different types of gas struts installed in vehicle compartments to facilitate the functions of the parts but all have a few key elements in common.
- These gas struts work to resemble the mechanism of working of a bicycle pump. The piston and rod pass back and forth within the tight-fitting tube. The gas spring is sealed in the cylinder to ensure that the volume of gas or oil inside the cylinder remains constant.
- Typically, a specific amount of gas is allowed to pass through and around the piston in a gas strut. This enables it to maintain the balance in the internal pressure. At the same time, it creates two different varying pockets having different surface areas and volumes.
- When the ease of flow of the gas in the gas struts automotive is limited this way through the piston in one way or the other the force required to move the object in the other direction can be adjusted according to the accelerating, supporting, damping movement needs.
Different gas struts automotive are manufactured in different specifics and sizes to meet the object and customer needs. If installed properly, these can work for years without any interruptions. The components and configurations of different gas struts automotive vary which determines the working process and the precise mechanics.